Saturday, October 23, 2010

A fresh breath of Autumn


There is something so wonderful about Fall. I love the dramatic change of seasons and colors, the breeze smells like apples and makes you think of pumpkins. Fall Colors are my favorite crimson red's, dark greens, browns very earthy colors. We played in some HUGE piles of leaves with the girls, I think we are still picking sticks out of their hair. Here is a cute little kid's poem that describes Fall perfectly:

October

October's the month
When the smallest breeze
Gives us a shower
Of autumn leaves.
Bonfires and pumpkins,
Leaves sailing down -
October is red
And golden and brown.


October leaves are lovely
They rustle when I run
Sometimes I make a heap
And jump in them for fun.


Autumn leaves float quietly down
And form a carpet on the ground.
But when those leaves are stepped upon,

Listen for the crackling sound.



I miss the sounds and smells of the traditional Fall season in the States, things like apple picking, Festivals, Harvest parties, carved pumpkins lit up on people's porches, hay and corn mazes, I especially miss all those Autumn flavors and scents that scream "home and comfort!" Apple Cidar, Pumpkin Pie, warm spices and caramel. It becomes a melancholy time of memories remembering a table packed with family and food. So, I dug out my scented candles from the States and let them burn all day...I have been saving them, opening them for little moments at a time to sneak a smell. Today was a big day for me to actually light them knowing that those little "scents" that remind me of home would soon be gone, but it was worth it! I even have a few hours left for another melancholy Fall day.

Happy Fall!


No comments: