Thursday, November 6, 2008

Home made Play-doh

So, I've been debating for weeks if I should get Novie some Play-doh. I would ask around to different moms about ideas for playing with my toddler. I think every single one said play-doh, finger paints, clay etc etc. You know all the messy stuff. I'm not sure how many of you have more than one "baby" at home meaning 2 and under, it's hard enough to find time to clean up the messes that have been made by the kids, so who in their right mind would want to make a mess on purpose!
I remember as a kid making home-made play-doh. So I got the recipe from my mom (thanks Mom!) and Novie and I made our very own play-doh. The cool thing about it is that you can choose what color you want it to be. We went for blue and boy did 2 drops go a long ways!
Here is why I am writing this: Home-made Play-doh did not make a ridiculously big mess! I've seen carpet after a good douse of play-doh and it's not a pretty sight. Home-made play-doh is mainly flour and salt so a damp clothe gets it up and doesn't leave that rough feeling. Also, it cost about 10min of my time and .60 cents to make! The least expensive the toy the better!
So moms, I am suggesting that you play play-doh, today! Novie and I sat at the table yesterday for an hour! Yes, a hour! designing animals, food, people, houses and yes, even a replica of the Statue of Liberty (which I thought turned out pretty good) :)

Well, enough said, here is my mom's recipe for Play-Doh:

1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water
1 T. Vegetable oil
2-3 drops of your favorite food coloring

Mix together dry ingredients in heavy saucepan. Add oil, water and food coloring. Cook on Med. heat for about 3minutes. Stir constantly. Mixture will thicken quickly. When mixture becomes one large ball, empty dough onto waxed paper. Knead until smooth and cool. Store the play dough in an airtight container.
If play dough gets dry after a couple weeks just add a little water and knead, or make a new batch!

Enjoy this time with your little one and be careful saying, "wow, is that a horse?" when it's really supposed to be you! Thanks Novie.

No comments: